We are delighted to announce that applications for the PERC summer internship scheme, Monday 1 July – Friday 23 August 2019, are now open.
The 8-week PERC internship scheme is aimed at new chiropractic graduates with distinction or merit at masters level, although those who can demonstrate a clear commitment and flare for research may also be considered. Competent computer skills including spread sheet calculations and word processing are required.
The scheme will be affiliated with an established internship programme at the Arthritis Research UK Centre for Sport, Exercise and Osteoarthritis, University of Nottingham, and a network world-leading MSK researchers at six universities: Nottingham, Oxford, Southampton, Loughborough, Leeds and Bath. The scheme provides the opportunity for newly graduated chiropractors to work with other new graduate health clinicians, health scientists, and medical students (3rd year or later), interested in research in sport, exercise and osteoarthritis to obtain first-hand experiences of multi-disciplinary research environments.
Chiropractic interns will work alongside active researchers at the University of Southampton, University of South Wales or AECC University College, but will be actively involved with researchers in sport, exercise and osteoarthritis research within the Arthritis Research UK Centre for Sport, Exercise and Osteoarthritis. Via mentorship from key senior researchers, they will be exposed to research design, conduct, governance and analysis and dissemination activities in a range of health disciplines. They will be given a project that aligns with the host institution research team and is feasible to complete within the short time frame. Mentors will be identified as someone who has the wisdom, insight and experience of clinical research.
Opportunities throughout the Centre will be available and, if appropriate, in other Universities within the collaboration to maximise the training opportunities and exposure to the research environment. The Centre asks all interns to provide ongoing contributions to the Centre once their internship has ended.
Funded by the Chiropractic Research Council, interns will receive a £1000 stipend to assist with living costs and £500 towards travel expenses for the period of the internship. Proof of accommodation costs and travel expenses will be required.
The objectives of the Arthritis Research UK Centre for Sport, Exercise and Osteoarthritis graduate research internships are to produce interns who:
- Develop skills in research methods and application beyond that of honours graduates.
- Understand the importance of good research governance and are aware of the administrative framework within which clinical research is currently undertaken.
- Understand the context of clinical research within the health and health science.
- Have an opportunity to work with some of the leading UK sports science, AHP, nursing and medical researchers and state-of-the-art equipment.
- Understand the importance of networks and have developed potential collaborative links in the broader context of sports, exercise and osteoarthritis research.
- Recognise the importance of a mutually supporting cohort of new graduate researchers who are able to contribute to the future development of sport, exercise and osteoarthritis research.
- Understand clinical academic and health science career pathways and the processes involved in applying for future funding to progress to advanced levels of research training.
- Provide ongoing contributions to the Centre once their internship has ended.
How to Apply:
To apply please submit:
- A personal statement of intent. This should include your views as to why research is important for the profession and what you would aim to bring to your involvement in the internship and future involvement with research (max. 500 words)
- Curriculum Vitae (including 2 academic references)
All applications must be received by midnight, Friday 29 March 2019
Completed applications should be sent to: email@example.com with the subject line: PERC2019 Internship Application.
Attach your application as one document titled with your name.
Suitable applicants will be invited for interviewed by telephone or Skype during April.
The Scheme will run from Monday 1 July to Friday 23 August 2019.
You will be required to attend a number of days at other venues across the UK and be willing to meet or skype on a regular basis with potential supervisors at AECC UC or WIOC
Successful candidates will be notified by 5pm on Friday 3 May 2019 and MUST be ready to commence the programme on Monday 1 July 2019.